Monday, August 15, 2011

A MUSICAL EDUCATION IN 1001 STEPS - PT 14

Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (1957)

Would you like to see some high praise? These five words from The Book about Here's Little Richard stopped me cold: "Rock and roll's stem cells." Wow... that's really saying something. And you know what? It's true. I've always kind of dismissed Little Richard as a slightly more masculine iteration of Prince, without the latter's unfortunate penchant for the inscrutable pose. But on these early, original recordings - not the inferior versions recorded later to get around lousy contracts - I swear I can hear snatches of everything from Marvin Gaye to Motorhead. It boggles my frigging mind to think that all these fantastic songs were recorded over half a century ago on a single-track recording unit. How is that possible?!

Had I heard it before? Yes.
Did I like it then? Yes.
Do I like it now? Yes.
If I had to sum it up in a single word? Does "A-wop-bop-a-loo-bop-a-wop-bam-boom" count as one word?
Am I keeping it? Yes.
Standout Tracks? "Tutti Frutti", "Ready Freddy", "Long Tall Sally", "Slippin and Slidin", "Rip it Up"



No comments:

Post a Comment